Monday, November 29, 2004

Pegasus News

This interesting concept that has me wanting to know more. Being from Dallas, I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it; then again the "Publisher" of the blog is staying anonymous due to concerns with his current job.

They're intention is to provide hyper-local news to us consumers. The content will come from other writers/bloggers; the more you provide, the less you pay to receive news. Also, they're advertising model will be pay-for-performance. Advertisers will love this, but I don't see Pegasus monetizing their efforts that well, especially in their print version. Every company wants to be less intrusive when it comes to putting ads in or around their services. I've never had a pay-for-performance model work for me. Then again, with most of the news being very niche, companies can pin-point which section they think will be best for them, and in return, best for Pegasus. Although if it doesn't work, Pegasus will be giving away free advertising.

They're talking big for being a year away in launching their product: "neighborhood coverage producing 10x the local news and information of the incumbent providers." (He brings his point home with this blog post.) That's a big number, given that The Dallas Morning News and Belo Corp. do a good job providing what I need to know. Although, with the power of blogs and bloggers, the "neighborhood gossip" is endless.

I see Mark Cuban jumping in on the bandwagon really soon. Read around the blog for some other great posts (funny guy too!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home